A firefighter ventilates the roof to allow heat and combustible fire gasses to escape.
More photos follow
Date: Sunday August 12, 2012
Location: 31 Prospect Street, Webster
by Patriot staff
Particulars: On Sunday afternoon at approximately 4:30 PM, Webster firefighters received a call of smoke coming from a building located at 31 Prospect Street. All available Webster firefighters responded to the scene to find a fire burning in the attic of the two and a half story wood dwelling located at the address.
Firefighters had little trouble in subduing the flames, but warm temperatures and oppressive humidity did take their toll. Many jakes could be seen after exiting the building, shedding their protective clothing and trying to re-hydrate and find some shade to rehabilitate. All of the firefighters’ underlying clothing was completely soaked with sweat. The weather condition necessitated Webster Fire Chief Brian Hickey to call the neighboring Dudley and Oxford fire departments to the scene to relieve his spent crews in the laborious task of overhaul, the systematic removal of inner walls and ceilings in a search for hidden embers.
The fire, which appears to be accidental in nature, displaced 19 residents from the multiple family dwelling until repairs can be made. Firefighters had to cut a hole in the roof to alleviate high heat and combustible fire gasses before they could enter the attic space to fight the fire. No firefighters or occupants were injured in the late afternoon fire. Several pets were also displaced by the blaze. The American Red Cross was called in to assist those occupants who lived in the building.
A Webster firefighter stretches a hoseline into
the dwelling located at 31 Prospect Street.
Firefighters appear on the 2nd floor porch to relay to Chief Hickey
the fire has been brought under control. These firefighters had
to be rotated out of the building due to the oppressive humidity.
- Wednesday, 15 August 2012
- Posted in Categories: : News