Webster - For years families in Webster, Dudley, Oxford and surrounding communities have celebrated the Fourth of July with a dazzling fireworks display at Memorial Beach.
There will be no fireworks this year. “We're not going to be able to pull it off,” said Donald Bourque, chairman of the board of selectmen.
To continue the tradition, the community would have had to raise $25,000 in less than two weeks. “The Town of Webster does not have the money to underwrite the fireworks, and no one person should have to bear the financial responsibility. This should be a community effort,” he said. In recent years, the Fels family had donated the funds.
“Some people think the town should just pay for the fireworks, but that means taking $25,000 away from something else, from other town services. The budget is tight,” said Mr. Bourque.
Local businessman Chris Robert began an effort to last week to rally residents to join him in donating the necessary funds. However, the time constraints and logistics proved to be too difficult.
”This is important to the citizens of Webster,” said Mr. Bourque, “and we should move now to create a committee to raise the funds for a spectacular fireworks in 2013.”
Mr. Robert said he would spearhead the effort to get that done.
- Wednesday, 06 June 2012
- Posted in Categories: : News