Q: What Can I Do To Make A Difference In the World?
A: Many of my Ask Madalyn columns have answered this question in a very specific way addressing a particular question or area of interest. Today’s column will focus on a program I recently learned about called Embracing the World—InDeed. Many times we pay lip service to our concerns and do not follow through. The InDeed program identifies six small things each of us can do to make a big difference for our planet. These practical suggestions were suggested by Amma, a world renowned saint whose extraordinary acts of love and self sacrifice have given rise to a network of spiritual and charitable activities. She is widely respected for her humanitarian activities worldwide.
The following is a list of the six ways you can contribute in a personal way. Click on the website below to get more details and actually commit.
1. CONSERVE WATER-The water shortage crisis is not somewhere off in the distant future, it has arrived. Saving water is easy and there are opportunities all around us.
2. REDUCE YOUR CARBON FOOTPRINT-Become part of the solution instead of the problem.
3. PLANT A TREE– Scientists estimate there’s about 200 billion tons of excess CO2 in the atmosphere. Planting a tree is a positive response to a growing problem.
4. GROW YOUR OWN VEGGIES– Growing your own organic vegetables in gardens, window boxes or on the windowsill will help you access a healthier lifestyle and greater self reliance.
5. CARPOOL– Save money, time and CO2 emissions by sharing a ride to work, gatherings, church or shopping.
6. BUILD A HOUSE FOR BIRDS OR BUGS-Every 20 minutes another species disappears. While species extinction is a normal process, it is happening 100 times faster than it should.
To learn how YOU can make a difference and make a real commitment to change log on to www.embracingtheworld.org.
“Where there is real love, there is no selfishness”…… Amma
- Tuesday, 02 October 2012
- Posted in Categories: : Ask Madalyn